Christ Church, in the centre of Ward Jackson’s West Hartlepool, grew from Stranton parish and was opened in 1854. It was not without controversy in the early days and it served a massive population in the growing West Hartlepool. As demolition in the 1950s and 60s took hold, congregations dwindled and in 1973 the church was closed. In 1996 it was refurbished and is now the town’s art gallery.